Dental Cleaning (Dental Prophylaxis)
Maintain your smile with regular dental cleanings!
Teeth cleaning is the cornerstone of preventive dentistry. Routine dental hygiene visits can eliminate issues like bad breath, painful gums, swollen gums, bleeding gums, and much more! Dental prophylaxis and routine home care can lower dental costs by helping avoid the need for tooth fillings or gum disease treatment.
Plaque is a biofilm of colonized bacteria, which has attached itself to dental structures. Plaque most often appears as a pale yellow color and can cause significant damage to your teeth and gums. When plaque remains on your teeth, it absorbs minerals to harden and forms calculus deposits. If your dentist says you have calculus, or tartar, you may also require a procedure known as scaling and root planning (See Deep Cleaning for details) – as they may be too hard to remove with a normal dental prophylaxis.
Here are some of the benefits of regular dental cleaning visits:
- Removal of plaque and stain can make teeth appear whiter!
- Help prevent dental cavities and gum diseases, such as gingivitis.
- Identify and eliminate early signs of gingivitis or periodontal disease.
- Routine dental cleanings can improve your general medical health (decrease the risk for heart disease and stroke).
- Regular dental hygiene visits can reduce dental anxiety in both children and adults.
Dental cleanings are typically recommended every 3 to 6 months. Speak to your dentist today to discover your recommended schedule and personalized oral hygiene instructions.